Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Thing 15: Attending, presenting and organising conferences

Attending Conferences

I had the opportunity to attend my first conference this year, I was fortunate and grateful that my employer paid for me to attend. It was a small three days conference put on by the Caribbean Association of Law Libraries (CARALL)  that was held in Trinidad and Tobago this year. It is also the only annual library conference held in the English speaking Caribbean that I know of. There was no need to select which sessions to attend as all were held in one room thus I was able to benefit from the entire programme.

What I was not prepared for, was to stand before the other 20 something attendees introduce myself and say something about myself and my library, so my advice to anyone is to find out as much about the conference before you go. I would love to attend next year but it will be expensive since I'll have to find airfare and hotel accommodation but I'll try. In future, I would love to attend a big conference such as IFLA, ALA or CILIP however, these conferences are very expensive but my goal is to attend at least one of them. This year IFLA was held in Puerto Rico but unfortunately it was still very costly for me to attend although so close to home.

Speaking

I looked at the speakers on the platform and one of my thoughts was that this is something I want to do. So, I'm definitely interested in finding out more about presenting at a conference.

Organising

There are not many opportunities for me to organise a conference in my country. The closest thing we have is a Conference Reporting programme put on by the Library Association where persons who attended conferences for the year share their experiences with the rest of us.


No comments: